How taxi marshals can add value to the night time economy and improve public safety
Picture the scene; any town centre at pub or club closing time on a Friday or Saturday night, crowds of revellers making their way home or determined to find another venue so they can continue the party. We’ve all seen it, first hand, on the news or as part of a ‘fly-on-the-wall’ documentary about emergency services. These days all the emergency services have their hands full, even without the drunken escapades taking place in town centres, so local councils and community safety teams are turning more and more often to private security companies.
The majority of pubs, bars and nightclubs already employ door supervisors to ensure the security of their venues, customers and staff. And with the increased terrorist threats these security operatives have plenty to keep them busy, without adding the responsibility of making sure customers get home safely.
This is where the Taxi Marshals come in. They begin work later in the evenings, sometimes not until 11pm although many are operational from 9 or 10pm. The Marshals co-ordinate taxi queues, preventing disorder or violence and helping the queue to flow as quickly as possible.
By liaising with police, ambulance services, door supervisors and street wardens, taxi marshals play a vital role in the reduction of town centre crime.
Key benefits of implementing a taxi marshal service include;
- Improvement to public safety, providing support to vulnerable people and first aid to those in need
- Reducing disturbances, anti-social behaviour and criminal activity
- Helping to ensure smooth customer collection by taxis
- Making the town centre an attractive night out, encouraging tourism and helping local businesses
- Preventing unlicensed taxis, marshals record details and report any operating
- Giving members of the public extra confidence and peace of mind
- Providing support to taxi drivers, helping to ensure customers behave appropriately
Interested in finding out more about Taxi Marshals…
Leisuresec taxi marshals are operating in a number of towns and cities. Our Area Managers will work closely with you to understand your specific needs and tailor a service to fit. To find out more, take a look at our Taxi Marshal Services page or get in touch and we will arrange a meeting with an Area Manager.
Leisuresec won the Excellence Award for Taxi Marshal Services in the Midlands Enterprise Awards 2017.